Sunday 19 June 2016

Modern back then


















Decades ago, when I was at art college, some one gave me a birthday present of two books on modern art, this one and What is modern painting? by Alfred Barr Jr (the first director of MoMA). For some reason I kept them both and over the years occasionally looked through them. This one by Rathburn and Hayes is a simple, straight forward explanation of art, basically using pictures and short pieces of text and its always an enjoyable read. I liked the way the authors combined Art and popular art to reveal an essential aspect of the medium.


Originally published in 1954, if it was written in the last few years I doubt the text would be much different but there would probably be a more up to date choice of images


 

.



No comments:

Post a Comment