Top Another poorly cropped photo. Where is the rest of the bus? Was this photo really worth using? A blank inside back cover, just the place for the publisher to plug some other transport titles.
| I'm a publication designer and live in the Southampton area and I sometimes use the buses so I thought I would find out about the history of transport services in the city. The book is a typical example of the transport press; it's very amateur looking. This type of publication suffers from an inherent problem: it exclusively relies on amateur snaps for the visual content. There are just over two hundred photos in the book and they have just been dropped onto the pages. No cropping to get the best focal point, no lightening of very grey photos, no real editorial selection to reject photos that just aren't worth including and tell the reader very little. Page after page of two photos, one on top of the other. It's also rather pricey.
However, even with this poor visual material, the book could have been designed to give the pages some sparkle, with big and small photos and some worthwhile typography for the title, imprint and intro pages. A missed opportunity to produce a book that a reader could enjoy. |
|
| |
|
No comments:
Post a Comment