A book lover's delight! Page after page of beautiful photos show how wonderful a bookshop can look when it's designed to appeal to book lovers from around the world. It was originally published in France so eighty-two pages cover Paris and the rest of the country and it certainly has plenty of stores. I anticipated that Europe and North America would provide some lovely premises but what about the rest of the world?
Buenos Aires has the huge El Ateneo Grand Splendid and I noticed shelves titled BOOKS IN ENGLISH, which I would expect to see in most foreign stores. Librairie Antoine in Beirut seems stuffed full of titles. Zhongshuge in Shenzhen displays books in a carpeted interior spiral. Al Kitab in Tunis offers titles in French, Arabic and English in rather large premises.
One of the pleasures I had looking through the book was seeing how tidy and inviting these bookshops are everywhere, and also the quality of the photography. There's a back page with photography credits and a few dozen photographers were involved in delivering 252 excellent images.
US
UK

No comments:
Post a Comment